To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

I need to start new service. What do I need?

If you need to start new service, there is an application to complete and a service connection fee to remit. 

  • Moving to Southside? Find our service application here.
  • Moving from one home in Southside to another? Find our transfer application here.
  • Are you a landlord or real estate agency needing temporary service between residents? Find our temporary service application here.
  • Building a new home and need a water meter and/or sewer installation? Find that application here.

If you have any questions, please call our office and we will be happy to assist you.

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem. Also see our tips on how to read your meter and check for leaks.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

Is my water safe to drink after hydrant flushing?

Periodically, you will see the City of Southside or Southside Water Works & Sewer Board releasing water from hydrants. Hydrant flushing is necessary to test the hydrants to make sure adequate flow and pressure is available. Flushing is also done to remove sediment from the pipes in order to maintain water clarity and quality in the distribution pipes.

Your water is safe to drink. Occasionally, water becomes discolored after hydrant flushing. If this happens, run your cold water tap for a few minutes until the water clears. If it doesn’t clear the first time, wait a few minutes and run the water again. You should avoid washing clothes until the water clears.

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Systems that use chloramine as a disinfectant must maintain a level of 0.5 mg/L by state law. Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why does my bill say "Estimated?"

When meter readings are not easily obtainable or unavailable, estimating is an efficient way to accurately bill established customers.

Southside Water Works takes an average of usage over a course of time (usually 6 months) and formulates a reading/usage estimate from this average.

Reasons for Estimates:

  • Unable to read meter due to debris or other obstruction in or around meter
  • Unable to read meter due to weather
  • Broken or malfunctioning meter
  • Computer system error
  • Emergency situations

Note that if an estimate is too high or too low, your next month’s reading will compensate for this discrepancy. We strive to give you a reasonable estimate to the best of our abilities. Thank you for your understanding.

What is this "Donation Charge" I see on my bill?

In early 2017, Southside Elementary and Southside High School requested help collecting donations for their schools.

Southside Water Works and Sewer Board developed a plan to assist the schools by adding 50 cents to each water bill. Before activating this donation, we mailed all customers a letter with the option to opt out or continue to give the donation.

See a copy of the letter here.

At the end of each year the amount collected will be divided equally between the elementary and high schools. We appreciate your contribution to our students

Read about the 2017 donation here.

If you would like this donation removed from your bill, simply call us at (256) 442-8707 and we will inactivate it.

Garbage Questions

Southside Water Works is not responsible for garbage collection, can requests, pricing, or any other garbage concerns. Payments collected for garbage services through SSWW are remitted to the City.

All current and future garbage-related concerns will be directed to contact Southside City Hall at (256)442-9775.

See a list of pick up days here.

See list of observed holidays here.